How to be Proactive as a Health Unit Coordinator
Below is a list of ways I’m proactive as a Health Unit Coordinator. Being proactive means acting in anticipation of future problems, needs, or changes. I like to get the small things out of the way so I can be ready for anything.
- If a patient is coming, I’ll prepare the chart and fill in the ADT (Admission/Discharge/Transfer) Book as much as possible.
- I’ll make sure all the printers are filled with enough paper.
- I ensure we have enough supplies in the pantry and the breakroom.
- I’ll ask the nurses and PCAs if they need any calls placed or supplies ordered.
- I don’t wait until a new alert pops up to check the electronic chart. I stay on top of the new orders all day.
- Finally, be constantly aware of what’s happening around the unit.
Ready to learn more? Order Let's Talk About Being A Unit Secretary today!